Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Late summer

I grew up in the Midwest, where September means bright skies and crisp breezes and leaving your windows open and feeling the first snaps of cold at night. It's glorious.
When I was younger I asked my dad what his favorite season was, and I thought he was crazy when he said fall. Spring had my birthday, summer had no school, and winter had Christmas. What did fall have to offer? Nothing but back-to-school. As a kid, fall ranked dead last for me.
Now that I'm an adult living in Texas, fall is like the reward for surviving the face-melting season. But September is a trick, because you think, oh, summer's over! It isn't over. You will still need to run your air conditioning until basically Halloween, and the mosquitoes are stocking up on blood like squirrels hoarding acorns.  Also the humidity means that I've had a superman curl on my forehead for a couple weeks now.
Yesterday was the first day in about 10 that we didn't have significant rain, so now apparently it's mushroom season. That's kinda fun.



I've got some ideas of how to break out of my late summer funk:
-Eat healthier foods
-Exercise
-Pick one spot in the house to de-clutter and tidy up
-Learn a new skill
-Make some progress on that to-do list of emails to send and phone calls to make

None of these sound appealing at the moment, so excuse me while I go re-watch the hot tub scene from "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" and wait for fall to actually arrive in early November.

No comments:

Post a Comment