I made this over Thanksgiving weekend. It's pretty simple:
1. Cut assorted quilting fabrics into rectangles with pinking shears (small prints and solids work best)
2. Draw letters and cut them out on contrasting fabric
3. Pin letters in place, and attach with sewing machine and/or hand stitch with embroidery floss
4. Use sewing machine to attach rectangles to ribbon (pin your center letter first and then work out toward either side)
5. Fold over each end of ribbon and sew a loop for hanging
I was imagining funky, and it turned out a little more cutesy, but my kids were impressed. One saw me stitching on a letter and exclaimed, "You know how to sew with your hands? I didn't know that! Can I watch?"