Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New year, new blog

I decided to make my family blog private a few months ago, and now I've decided to keep a separate blog of my personal projects and miscellaneous thoughts, hence the title "Craft & Opinion".  Although my kids made pretty convincing arguments for "Ideas & Fun" and "Morse Monster Blog".

If you decide to check in here from time to time, you can expect to see sewing projects, jewelry, some before & afters as I try to decorate my home, references to '80s television and other retro nostalgia, and of course, plenty of my opinions.
My goal is to post on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but this week I'll kick off with one or two things each day.
Since we are observing the southern tradition of eating black eyed peas on New Year's Day, I thought I'd share our favorite recipe for the job.  I don't care much for black eyed peas, but toss them into a crock pot queso dip, and I can scoop them up with chips all day long.

Black Eyed Pea Dip
8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
15.5 oz can black eyed peas, drained
4.5 oz can chopped green chilies
4 T. (1/2 stick) butter
4 chopped green onions

Put all ingredients in a slow cooker on low about 1 hour.  Serve with tortilla chips.
I'd like to note that the original recipe called for an entire stick of butter.  I feel that when you are eating a block of melted Velveeta, a half stick of added butter should suffice.  But if you're only eating it once a year, then go crazy and use all the butter you want.  Happy New Year!

PS: If you are dying to read more of the mischievous adventures and sassy quotations of my two little boys, let me know and I just might send you an invitation for the private family blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hm. That might explain why I haven't seen any blog posts from you on my reader in recent memory. :) I'm glad you're keeping part of your work public.

    ReplyDelete