Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving, birthdays, and even a little Festivus

First, the airing of grievances.  I turned on the Christmas music radio station tonight, and the second song that came on was that wretched, horrible, utterly hateable abomination known as The Christmas Shoes.  Then Delilah's show started about ten minutes later, and what do you think she played first?  That's right.  The Christmas Shoes.  This is why I stick to my iPod.
I have much to be thankful for this year, starting with this awesome turkey platter I found at Goodwill.  Kidding!  Starting with, of course, a sweet baby that joined our family.  Followed by a good husband, those other two kids of ours, and lots of taken-for-granted things like running water, clean clothes and a warm bed.  I've been thinking a lot more about those daily comforts since the Halloween floods in Austin and Typhoon Haiyan in The Philippines.
My two big boys are both in school this year, which means I get twice the kid holiday art projects.  I truly love kid holiday art projects.
This year we started a new tradition: The First Annual Thanksgiving Weekend Star Wars Monopoly Game.  It played out over the course of three days and ended tonight, just shy of a total nuclear meltdown by Darth Vader.  It's all fun and games until you land on Imperial Palace with a Starport (in other words, Boardwalk with a hotel), and you owe your brother $2000 in rent.
Our family has a birthday season that coincides with the holiday season.  This year's birthday cake took the form of creeper brownie mosaics.  Better than pumpkin pie, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment