Monday, February 4, 2013

Swept away by a book


I just finished reading The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey.  It's a re-telling of Jane Eyre, set in 1950s/1960s Scotland, and I liked it, but not as much as the original. 

When Matt and I did our European backpacking trip in 2001, I found a paperback copy of Jane Eyre on a bookshelf in our Swiss hostel.  I had never read it before, and I was so captivated that I stayed up late for three nights in a row, reading in my twin bed by the light of a dim bulb. 

The bookshelf had a sign that said, "take a book, leave a book", but I didn't have any book to trade, so I was determined to finish it before we moved on to another city.  I had maybe 50 pages to go when we had to leave, so I sadly left the book behind and waited another week or two before we were back home in the States and I could get it from the library.

I'm one who easily falls asleep if I settle in to bed with a book, but there are a few books that I've stayed up late to read:
Harry Potter series
Twilight series (I know.  Shut up.)
The Help
Rules of Civility

Any books that have swept you away?  Or do you always stay up late to read?

1 comment:

  1. The last one for me would be Mistborn. It's a high action book and it ofen lacks good places to read, and I can't just stop reading when the herioine is in peril.

    Prior to that, I can't quite remember. I recall I would /plan/ an all-nighter when the Harry Potter books were released, but the 7th failed to entice me to stay awake. In our family we opened one present on Christmas eve, and as a teen I aimed to open a book so I could stay up all night reading.

    ReplyDelete