Monday, January 27, 2014

Getting stuff done

With the start of the new year, I resolved to get organized.  I think that "get organized" is in a three-way tie with "exercise more" and "quit smoking" for the most unoriginal new year's resolution ever.  But it's what was most needed around here, so I committed myself to not using facebook for the entire month of January and devoting some of that saved time to my de-cluttering efforts.

It's working.  Kind of.

Here's an example of a task that has been on my list of things to do for ages.  This radio has had a CD stuck in it for probably 2 or 3 years.  Even though the CD player no longer worked, I could still play radio stations as well as plug my iPod into it.  But then one of my kids broke the radio tuner knob, and the speakers have been crackly for a long, long time.  It is well past time to put this thing out of its misery, but first I thought it would be fun to let the boys take it apart and look at the inner workings.

So this dusty, busted old thing has uglied up my kitchen for months now, with absolutely no useful purpose, and I walked past it a hundred times a day hating it.  Finally, last week, we took it apart in the driveway (FYI, a CD player will not work if it has a large square of cardboard packaging shoved in there with the disc), and then we got rid of it.  Hooray!
I only lasted a couple days where I was 100% off facebook, but even since I slunk back to it, I haven't been spending as much time there as I was before, so it's progress!  And my other goal for January was to blog every day, which didn't happen, but I have blogged several times.  A little more progress!
There are four days left in the month, and I'm trying to make them productive.  How many more useless, ugly things can I remove from my life in four days?

No comments:

Post a Comment