Thursday, January 9, 2014

I'm cartoony

I've noticed over the years that I am drawn to art that is cartoonish.  That is to say, bold outlines, bright colors, and not much realism.  When I took art history in college, my favorite paintings were always by people like Matisse and Picasso.
Matisse
Picasso

I've only purchased a few pieces of original art in my life, and they are all in a similar style.
The beach scene we bought during our European backpacking adventure (artist is Sophie Girardeau), and the two faceless ladies at the bottom right are from a study trip to Costa Rica (artist unknown).

This angel painting is from a road trip to St. Louis that Matt and I took during our first year of marriage.  It looks kind of dated to me--very late '90s--but that's fine, because it was the late '90s.  (Artist is Karen Flocken.)

We bought a print of this one shortly after moving to Austin.  (Artist is Curtis Long.)

I used to wonder if I'd ever develop a more mature aesthetic.  It's the kind of thing you think about as you get closer to turning forty.  (Should I be wearing peacock blue tights?  Should I try to stop saying "awesome" and "totally" so much?  Should I keep decorating with cartoony art?)  But now I'm trying not to worry about it.  You like what you like, right?

1 comment:

  1. I like your style. I found your post while trying to recall/google info about Curtis Long. About 2000 we used to see him regularly at Chicago area art fairs but not so much any more. We were poor new parents at the time and did not add his work to our collection - I wish wish we had.

    ReplyDelete