Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Write about your job

Today, let's write about jobs. Pick any or all of the following topics to write about:

-Describe your current job. What are the best parts and the worst parts of it?

-Start with your first job ever, and make a list of all the jobs you've had.

-When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did it change over time?

-What is your dream job? Are you doing it? If not, why not?

*****************************************
At one point, like a lot of kids, I wanted to be a veterinarian when I grew up. I loved puppies, and I figured holding them all day would be the most fun. During high school, my friend Chris got a job at a vet's office. By that time, I was more jealous of her steady paycheck than the puppy cuddling, but still, I asked her what it was like. Did she love the day-to-day work with animals? She responded, "Well, so far they have me doing stuff like cleaning up messes and holding the animals while they place IVs." Ugh. Fantasy shattered.

I have a lot of dream jobs, but one of them would be to smear paint on canvas all day. I worked on a project earlier this year where I got to make a bunch of colorful canvas backgrounds, and it was incredibly fun and rewarding.
My youngest will be starting school next year, so I'm starting to think about what my next career will be. At one point I made a list of all the things I enjoy doing and would like to do as part of my job. Besides painting, it included making lists, running meetings, big-picture planning, travel, and talking on a microphone. I read the list out loud to my family and asked them what jobs would let me do those things. My dad responded, "Sounds like you want to be a CEO." Ha! Yes, perfect. Please let me know if you are looking for a CEO to begin in fall 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment